We’ve said it before: the library is pretty cool. And now, the library is taking it up a notch by letting cardholders check out local experiences and attractions for FREE.
The Orange County Library System launched Local Wanderer, a new culture pass program that will grant library cardholders FREE admission to arts and cultural venues including the Orlando Museum of Art, Orange County Regional History Center, Hard Rock Live, Central Florida Zoo and many other local cultural offerings including museums, theatres, and sports venues.
LOCAL WANDERER: FREE PASSES AT THE LIBRARY
Through Local Wanderer, participating organizations will provide free passes for OCLS cardholders to reserve online.
Here’s how it works:
- Each venue allots a certain amount of tickets for this free library program. It’s a similar process to checking out a book: once all of the passes are taken, you’ll have to wait until more are available.
- Go online to check availability and book your Local Wanderer pass.
- Check back often if the venue you want is booked. Keep in mind this is a new, popular program, so the demand is high.
- Each pass allows for a fourteen day check-out period.
- Cardholders can present their reservation and library card to redeem one-time admission to their selected institution for themselves, and in some cases up to three guests.
- Passes are available to cardholders who are in good standing.
- If you are not an Orange County resident or property owner, they offer options to purchase a card.
- Reservations can be made once per venue, per calendar year.
- For more information, call (407) 835-7323.
VENUES OFFERING FREE PASSES
As of August 14, the following cultural institutions are participating in Local Wanderer:
- Orlando Museum of Art
- Mennello Museum of American Art
- Charles Hosmer Morse Museum of American Art
- Orlando Repertory Theatre
- Orange County Regional History Center
- Orlando Solar Bears
- Hard Rock Live Orlando
- Central Florida Zoo & Botanical Gardens
- Orlando Science Center
You might also be interested in: free museum days in Orlando
Culture pass programs have been an emerging trend in American Public Libraries. As an initiative, it eliminates the financial barriers that prevent people from experiencing cultural opportunities in their city.
“We are excited to team up with Orange County Library System on a program that opens up a world of possibilities,” said Glen Gentele, Director & CEO of Orlando Museum of Art. “Simply put: the Local Wanderer initiative provides more people in our community a direct path to the arts.”