We’ve said it before — the library is pretty cool. The Orange County Library system takes it up a notch by letting cardholders check out local experiences and attractions for FREE.
The Local Wanderer at Orange County Library system is a culture pass program that grants library cardholders FREE admission to arts and cultural venues including the Orlando Museum of Art, Orange County Regional History Center, and the Central Florida Zoo & Botanical Gardens.
You might also be interested in:
- Cheap things to do with kids in Orlando
- Cool off at Central Florida Springs
- Best free and cheap outdoor adventures in Orlando
LOCAL WANDERER: FREE PASSES AT THE LIBRARY
Through Local Wanderer, participating organizations will provide FREE passes for OCLS cardholders to reserve online.
Some of the venues include:
- Orlando Ballet
- Art & History Museums of Maitland
- Orange County Regional History Center
- Dr. Phillips Center for Performing Arts
- Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra
- Orlando Museum of Art
- Central Florida Zoo & Botanical Gardens
Here’s how it works:
- Each venue allows a certain amount of tickets for this free library program. It’s a similar process to checking out a book: once all of the passes are taken, you’ll have to wait until more are available.
- Go online to check availability and book your Local Wanderer pass.
- Check back often if the venue you want is booked. Keep in mind this is a new, popular program, so the demand is high.
- Each pass allows for a fourteen-day check-out period.
- Cardholders can present their reservation and library card to redeem one-time admission to their selected institution for themselves and in some cases up to three guests.
- Passes are available to cardholders who are in good standing.
- If you are not an Orange County resident or property owner, they offer options to purchase a card.
- Reservations can be made once per venue, per calendar year.
- For more information, call (407) 835-7323.
Find participating Local Wanderer organizations here.
You might also be interested in free museum days in Orlando
Culture pass programs have been an emerging trend in American Public Libraries. As an initiative, it eliminates the financial barriers that prevent people from experiencing cultural opportunities in their city.
“We are excited to team up with Orange County Library System on a program that opens up a world of possibilities,” said Glen Gentele, Director & CEO of Orlando Museum of Art. “Simply put: the Local Wanderer initiative provides more people in our community a direct path to the arts.”