It only takes a short trip from Orlando to discover native Florida wildlife in their natural habitat during a safe and relaxing car ride at the Blackpoint Wildlife Drive in Merritt Island.
The Blackpoint Wildlife Drive is home to a variety of animals from birds to alligators. All fees to enter have been waived indefinitely to help locals enjoy nature while many businesses are closed.
You might also be interested in:
- Where to walk in Orlando
- FREE entry at Leu Gardens until further notice
- Free virtual rides at Walt Disney World Resort
BLACKPOINT WILDLIFE DRIVE IN MERRITT ISLAND
Along the 7-mile, one-way drive, you might catch a glimpse of birds, alligators, river otters, bobcats, various species of snakes, and other wildlife. Pick up a self-guided brochure available near the drive entrance.
The destination is approximately an hour from Orlando, and then the wildlife drive will take about 40 minutes to complete. Hours of operation are from sunrise to sunset. The Visitor Center (as of now) is open 8am-4pm, Wednesdays through Sundays.
You might also be interested in: Wild Florida Drive-Thru Safari Park
Tips for the best Wildlife Drive experience:
- To see the most wildlife, arrive early in the morning or late in the afternoon
- The peak season to see wildlife in their natural habitat is October through March
- Drive slowly and look carefully so you do not disturb the wildlife
- Do no feed or get close to any of the animals